Why no ZShare?



On average, I receive about 20 emails a day from PRs, artists and bands all asking me to feature their work on BCG. I also receive about 10 emails a week from DJs asking me to push their latest mixtape. The commonality between all these: Their music is distributed on filesharing site ZShare.net.

Since last week, some funny business has been going on with ZShare, making the site unusable for most customers of BT or Virgin Media (2 of the UKs largest ISPs). If you are a band, PR or DJ and you're trying to send me stuff for consideration, please post to another filesharing host, such as Yousendit.com. Sharebee.com is a good service, as it will upload to four different hosting options for you (including ZShare), meaning that you music will be heard by those you're trying to reach.

Rumour has it that this is part of the new drive by the BPI and UK ISPs to stamp out piracy. Fair enough, we all know that filesharing sites like ZShare are used to distribute albums by hard up artists like Madonna and Coldplay. But by stopping access to ZShare, the BPI are hitting the industry where it hurts - at grassroots level, where Artists, Bands and DJs who can't afford to host their own music use the service because they're aren't backed by a 6 figure marketing campaign.

As one door closes, another opens. But for all the petabytes of demos, mixes and E-PR that are currently inaccessible to many key members on the bottom rung of the industry ladder, as well as to the fans who use these channels to help support the next Lily Allen, Arctic Monkeys or [insert your own music phenomenon here], this is a cruel blow. Especially when there are thousands of search engines, forums and blogs out there that are using other tools to illegally distribute content on a mass scale.

Combatting piracy does not mean closing down services people rely on. How long until MP3 blogs (like this one) are closed down or ignored by ISPs? And who decided that ISPs could dictate which content we could view and use anyway?

6 Responses to “Why no ZShare?”

  1. # Blogger James

    It doesn't appear to be working for me either and I'm with Sky. Fuckin' fascists.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Same here guys same here, and whatever it is, it fuckin' stinks.  

  3. # Blogger benjimite

    what absolute shite, they just don't get it do they? Such a gutless and subversive load of crap. Not long till it will be down under too i guess  

  4. # Blogger DFF Sound System

    Yep, i was using zshare to host files (mainly my own stuff or tracks by bands that i'd cleared it with) on my blog so i'm very pissed off about this. Even more so given that i'm with BT. They didn't even make an anouncement as far as i can see either  

  5. # Blogger jonthebeef

    Hey all

    Zshare seems to be working today, I've downloaded a couple of tracks. As I said in my post, it was a rumour that this was because of ISP intervention, but I think we're all big enough and ugly enough to come to a sensible conclusion about internet gossip. Either way, all now seems OK with Zshare (for the time being), but for how long I really don't know.

    Thanks for your comments anyway,

    J  

  6. # Blogger testman

    i think that time they were probably just having some technical difficulties cos it came back... though today its down again (3 spet 2009) and its been down for at least 12h

    dunno whats going on but i really hope it will come back ASAP!!

    in the meantime checkout this list of alternatives http://globolister.com/?movieorserie=9  

Post a Comment

Music posted up here is for evaluation only, and only online for a limited time. If you're an artist, band or label that would like something removed, please get in touch. Otherwise, enjoy the blog!

About me

  • I'm jonthebeef
  • From Manchester, North West, United Kingdom



Music Blogs - Blog Top Sites
      Subscribe in Rojo
        Add black country grammar to Newsburst from CNET News.com
          Add to Google
              Add to My AOL
                Subscribe in FeedLounge
                  Add to netvibes
                    Subscribe in Bloglines
                      Add black country grammar to ODEO
                        Subscribe in podnova
                          British Blog Directory.
                            Google PageRank Checker Tool
                                dotdashcreate.com Submit your Blogs!

Subscribe by Email!!

    Enter your email address below, and get sent an update whenever something new gets posted. Easy.

Get in Touch.

    Would you like me to come and play your night, or have something for me to listen to? Drop me a line here. If you've missed out on any music because of the seven day rule, email and if it's possible I'll email it to you.

Shoutbox

    Send me your track

BlogRoll

    follow me on Twitter

    Previous posts

    Archives

    A Little Black Country Grammar

      Ahr - Yes
      Ar bin - I am
      Bostin - Terrific
      Geaus - Give me
      Gob - Mouth
      Kipper Tie - Cup of Tea
      Quoit - Exactly, entirely
      Or roit? - Are you well?
      Trarabit - See you again soon
      More?? Here.
    Who links to me?


    Hey! Any music I post links to here is to help promote the artists! If you want me to take it down, please send a nice, polite email to
    "jon at black country grammar dot co dot uk" and it'll be done. Ta.