Interview: Xaver Naudascher (Supersoul Recordings)



DFA have got a brand new compilation out this week on their Death from Abroad imprint called 'Nobody Knows Anything', which is a collection of tracks from German label Supersoul. I caught up with label head Xaver Naudascher this week to ask him how the tie up came about, scoring for films, and what he's had for lunch.

Hey there, how's it going?

Good. Very busy atm. So you must excuse my short answers.

What's going on in Berlin? My friends got back from Melt a few weeks ago - looked pretty wild. Were you there?

No. I avoid festivals. I am 37 years old and i have done my fair share of partying and rolling in the mud, i'd like to make space for another generation when it comes to that.

How did the DFA collaboration come about?

They contacted me after my first 12" and told me they liked it very much. At first they wanted to simply license it for their then upcoming Death From Abroad label. Quickly after Jonathan Galkin (MD of DFA) suggested we make a compilation because he liked what kept coming out on Supersoul. They have been terriffic in terms of moral and practical support for the growth of my label.

Cool. What are your favourite tracks on 'Nobody knows anything?"

Of course i like it all but what keeps amazing me is the effect that Moon Unit Parts 1 and 2 have on a dancefloor. It usually doesn't matter what kind of crowd it is they all instinctively know from the first few bars that something great is about to happen. Pure euphoria.

How did you get involved in scoring films and TV?

I have been doing it since '98. Back then i was working as an audio engineer in one of Berlin's major studios called Trixx. The people that made the music for Run Lola Run (in particular Johnny Klimek) hired me to mix some stuff for the soundtrack and they liked my approach so much (even as a mixer i can draw from my musical background) that i was offered a publishing deal to start writing for film and advertising on a more serious level. In the next few months i will be arranging and producing the score for Julie Delpy's new film The Countess. She will be writing the music and i will step in as producer and arranger, probably also mixing the surround version of the score.

Have you had anything interesting for lunch?

Yes i did. There's a fairly new place in Berlin called Kitti that makes delicious crepes with ham, cheese and egg. Funnily something i just have had for the first time a few weeks ago in Britanny where it is a traditional dish for brunch/lunch.

Do you play many gigs in the UK? When are you next over?

Actually I haven't played in England yet. So far I was always so busy with studiowork that i neglected plugging myself as a DJ. I will be playing in Glasgow twice in the next months. First September 13th at the 1 year party of After Dark @ Stereo and then a live gig with Moon Unit (the band we have started after the collaboration for Part 4 with Ros) @ Optimo on October 5th.

What's next for Supersoul?

Lots of good new releases coming.

Walter Jones - his epic All God's Children was never released in it's full 17 min. version. It had to be done. Pure class deephouse.

Plastique De Reve (as known from the comp plus a dirty mix of Resist by Chicago kid DJ Rampage)

Sebastien Tellier (two tracks from the Sexuality album remixed by Strangelets, Record Makers have been kind enough to give us the go ahead to release the material ourselves)

Moon Unit - (one of the tracks from our forthcoming album plus a Ewan Pearson rmx)

...and there's more but you will hear about it soon enough.

And there you go. 'Nobody Knows Anything: Death from Above presents Supersoul' is out now.

MP3 Walter Jones - The Odyssey Sound (Mogg and Naudascher Edit)

1 Responses to “Interview: Xaver Naudascher (Supersoul Recordings)”

  1. # Blogger cope

    you like the sound of berlin?
    nuff respect to supersoulrecordings!
    how about explring the city on xaver´s traces ...

    http://berlin.unlike.net/twenty_five_hours/100046-Xaver-Naudascher

    have a nice trip :-)  

Post a Comment

Music posted up here is for evaluation only, and only online for a limited time. If you're an artist, band or label that would like something removed, please get in touch. Otherwise, enjoy the blog!

About me

  • I'm jonthebeef
  • From Manchester, North West, United Kingdom



Music Blogs - Blog Top Sites
      Subscribe in Rojo
        Add black country grammar to Newsburst from CNET News.com
          Add to Google
              Add to My AOL
                Subscribe in FeedLounge
                  Add to netvibes
                    Subscribe in Bloglines
                      Add black country grammar to ODEO
                        Subscribe in podnova
                          British Blog Directory.
                            Google PageRank Checker Tool
                                dotdashcreate.com Submit your Blogs!

Subscribe by Email!!

    Enter your email address below, and get sent an update whenever something new gets posted. Easy.

Get in Touch.

    Would you like me to come and play your night, or have something for me to listen to? Drop me a line here. If you've missed out on any music because of the seven day rule, email and if it's possible I'll email it to you.

Shoutbox

    Send me your track

BlogRoll

    follow me on Twitter

    Previous posts

    Archives

    A Little Black Country Grammar

      Ahr - Yes
      Ar bin - I am
      Bostin - Terrific
      Geaus - Give me
      Gob - Mouth
      Kipper Tie - Cup of Tea
      Quoit - Exactly, entirely
      Or roit? - Are you well?
      Trarabit - See you again soon
      More?? Here.
    Who links to me?


    Hey! Any music I post links to here is to help promote the artists! If you want me to take it down, please send a nice, polite email to
    "jon at black country grammar dot co dot uk" and it'll be done. Ta.